What Is Zone Diet:-
The Zone diet says that a certain amount of protein, carbs, and fat in every meal
reduces the inflammation in the body, which helps in weight loss. The diet says,
carbs have a low glycemic index, which means there is a slow release of sugar into
the blood which helps in keeping you fuller for a longer duration. The protein should be
lean and fat should be unsaturated, if you are following the zone diet.
When our body develops any kind of disease which involves inflammation in the
body, that ranges from mild like gastrointestinal or digestive issues to severe
(extreme-onset of cancers and other serious illnesses). It is a life-long effort, to
reduce diet-induced inflammation.
Why is it called So?
The insulin levels of the body should remain within the normal range i.e. < 174 pmol/L,
if the levels are in this range that means it is staying in “The Zone.” The zone diet
foods if taken in the right proportions can help in controlling insulin production.
Some basic rules of zone diet:
● After waking up in the morning, a meal should be eaten within 1 hour.
● The average interval between the meals should be 4-6 hours.
● A gap between snacks and meals should be 2-2.5 hours, whether you feel hungry or not.
● Eight-ounce glasses of water a day should be taken.
● The starting meal or snack should be a low-fat protein.
● Then later in the day, good carbohydrates with a low glycemic index, such as vegetables and fruits, and healthy fats can be added.
● Before having any meal or snack, the assessment of hunger level should be
done. If you do not feel hungry and your mind is clear, then you are in “The
What to eat in the zone diet
In the Zone Diet, the protein should be lean and the options include:
● Lamb, chicken (prefer chicken breast) and turkey breast
● Fish and shellfish
● Vegetarian protein include tofu, paneer & soy products
● Egg whites
● Low-fat cheese, milk, and yogurt
The Zone Diet encourages to choose healthy fats (mainly monounsaturated) and the
● Nuts, like peanuts, walnuts, and almonds
● Peanut butter
● Healthy oils, like- canola oil, sesame oil, peanut oil, and olive oil
The Zone Diet focuses on choosing vegetables and fruits with a low glycemic index.
● Fruits such as berries, apples, oranges, plum
● Vegetables like cucumbers, peppers, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, yellow
squash and more
● Grains, such as oatmeal and barley
Benefits of being in the Zone diet:
● Helps in reducing excess body fat at the fastest rate
● Helps in maintaining wellness for a longer period of time
● Makes performance better & thinking faster
What to avoid in zone diet:
There is nothing which is strictly banned on the Zone Diet. But, the intake of some which
cause inflammation has been recommended to avoid:
● Fruits rich in sugar: Bananas, grapes, raisins, dried fruits, and mangoes.
● Starchy vegetables: Peas, corn, carrots, and potatoes.
● Refined and processed foods: White bread, pasta, noodles, and other white-flour
● Sugary Foods: Candy, cakes, and cookies.
● Soft drinks: Even sugar-free
● Coffee and tea: Minimum intake, as much as possible
“To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.” Buddha